- 8 chicken cutlets, pounded very thin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese, chopped
- 1/4 pound lean corned beef, chopped
- Flour, for dredging
- 3 large eggs or egg whites, beaten
- 3 slices rye bread, toasted and ground into fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Chopped dill or parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1 lemon, chopped into 4 wedges
- Deli pickle wedges, for serving
Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
Mix the sour cream with relish and ketchup and spread some on each cutlet. Divide the sauerkraut, cheese and corned beef between four cutlets and top with remaining four cutlets, dressing side down. Press the edges to seal.
Set up three dishes on the counter; one with the flour, one with the beaten egg and one with both breadcrumbs. Dredge the stuffed cutlets first in the flour, then the egg and finally in the breadcrumb mix.
Heat a shallow layer of oil in large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook the chicken Reubens for 3-4 minutes on each side, until deeply golden and cooked through. Let drain on a cooling rack for a minute. Garnish with chopped dill or parsley and serve with lemon wedges and a pickle alongside.