- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti or whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange peel, finely grated
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Belgian endives, thinly sliced
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the fennel and onion and cook until softened, 20 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and lemon peel and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and parsley and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the pasta and enough of the reserved pasta cooking water to moisten as desired. Stir in the endives; season with salt and pepper. Top with the cheese and pine nuts.