- 2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 pound Manchego cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds Spanish chorizo, cut into thick slices on an angle
- 1 medium Spanish onion, root end attached, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup large Spanish olives
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for liberal drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3-4 cloves garlic, 2-3 finely chopped, 1 halved
- 1 pound chard, stripped and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika (half a palmful)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Crusty bread, such as peasant-style or baguette, halved and cut into chunks
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato or 2 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Place the potatoes in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender. Mash with the milk, salt, pepper and cheese.
While the water for the potatoes comes to a boil, heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. In a bowl, coat the chorizo, onion and olives with a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Add everything to the hot pan, then transfer to the oven and roast for 15 minutes, stirring once midway, until the sausages are crisp and the onion slices are tender.
Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons EVOO to a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add the chopped garlic. Stir for 2 minutes, then wilt in the chard. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and nutmeg. Add the stock to the greens and braise for 10 minutes.
Remove the sausages from the oven and switch on the broiler. Place the bread under the broiler until toasted. Rub the bread with the cut side of the halved garlic, then rub with the halved ripe tomato. Drizzle the bread with the remaining EVOO and season with salt.
Serve the potatoes, greens and roast chorizo with the tomato toast alongside.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Half-and-Half Short Ribs with Escarole, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Parmigiano
Pork Chops with Balsamic Brown Butter, Applesauce with Thyme, Mashed Potatoes and Celery Root
Fancy Fillet of Beef with Marsala Sauce, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
New Mexican Green Chile Chili