- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 4 1/2-inch thick slices eggplant
- 4 chicken cutlets, pounded thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ball smoked mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- A handful of basil leaves, chopped or torn
Pre-heat an outdoor or indoor grill to medium-high heat.
Pre-heat the broiler.
To make the sauce, heat EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about five minutes. Add the tomatoes and let simmer for another five minutes.
Drizzle the eggplant slices and chicken cutlets with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. On one half of the grill place the eggplant slices. On the other half, place the chicken cutlets. Cook the eggplant and chicken for about four minutes per side. There should be no pink in the middle of the chicken.
To assemble, place two slices of eggplant on a baking sheet. Top each eggplant slice with a chicken cutlet. Top the chicken cutlet with another eggplant slice. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant and top that with a slice or two of smoked mozzarella. Finish it off with a handful of grated Parmigiano Reggiano and pop under the broiler to melt the cheese. Garnish with some chopped or torn basil leaves.