- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 slices marble rye or regular bread or 1/2 cup store-bought breadcrumbs
- Splash of milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large onion, 1/2 grated and 1/2 sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 bottle beer, any kind you like
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, divided
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet with two tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat.
Tear the bread into chunks and toss into a food processor. Grind until you get breadcrumbs. You need about a 1/2 cup. Transfer to a bowl and add a splash of milk to moisten the breadcrumbs. While the bread is soaking up the milk, combine the rest of the ingredients for the patties.
In a mixing bowl, combine ground sirloin, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, grill seasoning, mustard, egg, parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper and cheese.
Wring the breadcrumbs out and add them to the meat mixture. Mix with your hands to combine. Score meat into four equal portions, then form into four large, oval 3/4-inch thick patties.
Wash your hands after handling the raw meat.
Cook the patties for about seven minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until serving time.
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining two tablespoons of EVOO. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve. Drain all but two tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan, add the sliced onion and cook for about two minutes. Sprinkle the onions with the flour and cook for about one minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional minute. Whisk in the beer and the beef stock and bring to a bubble. Cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
To make the peas, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the peas and chicken stock. Let the chicken stock reduce slightly and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with the reserved bacon.
Serve patties with Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese and Chives and peas alongside.