- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 small Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound cooked ham steak, cut into matchsticks
- 6 thin scallions, thinly sliced on an angle into 2-inch pieces
- 8 slices good-quality white or whole wheat Pullman bread, toasted and lightly buttered
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, and the garlic over medium heat for a minute or so, then discard the garlic. Add the potatoes in a thin layer and season with lots of salt and pepper. Cook until crispy-brown, 8-10 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is crisp, 6-7 minutes.
In another large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk and hot sauce. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and ham and cook for 4 minutes. Add the scallions and heat through, then add the beaten eggs; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the bottom of the eggs sets, then transfer to the oven and cook through, 10-12 minutes.
Pile the potatoes on four slices of toast and top each with a quarter of the omelet. Cover with the remaining toasts, then cut the sammies corner to corner.