- Flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 -inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 4 large salmon fillets (8 ounces each), skinned
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 4 cups watercress
- Juice of 1 lemon
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Sprinkle a little flour on a work surface and place the puff pastry on top. Using a sharp paring knife, cut out four fish shapes about 2 inches x 8 inches. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes.
In a medium size skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the leeks and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the wine for 1 minute, then stir in the cream and cook until reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in the dill and turn the heat to low.
Season the salmon with the Old Bay seasoning and salt and pepper. In another skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook, turning once, for 6 minutes.
Dress the watercress with the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Top the salmon with the sauce and puff pastry and serve with the watercress.