- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika (about 2 palmfuls)
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- A few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound frozen potato pierogi
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Sour cream, for serving
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened, 8-10 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, paprika, marjoram and coriander to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and hot sauce for 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pierogi and boil until they float, 7-8 minutes. Drain.
Heat another large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the pierogi and cook until lightly browned. Stir in the chives and dill; season with salt and pepper. Serve the goulash and pierogi in shallow bowls with a dollop of sour cream.