- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound chicken or pork cutlets, very thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly cleaned
- A couple generous handfuls of shitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger root, grated
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 2 limes, zest and juice of 1, the other cut into wedges, divided
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 2 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Cilantro or basil, chopped, for garnish
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and cook pasta to al dente.
When the pasta goes into the water, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken or pork, brown and transfer to a plate.
Add the leeks and mushrooms to the skillet and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute more. Stir in the Tamari, agave syrup or honey, lime zest and juice and hot sauce, to taste. In a large serving bowl, toss the veggies with the meat, noodles and lettuce to combine.
Garnish with cilantro or basil and serve with lime wedges alongside.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.