- 1 pound mixed ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4-1/3 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons of your choice: lingonberry preserves, red currant or grape jelly
- 1 pound egg noodles, cooked to al dente
- Finely chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1/2 cup cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, finely chopped (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
In a bowl, mix meat with egg, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup cream, onion, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls and arrange on a nonstick baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat. Melt the butter, whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two. Then whisk in stock and thicken for 6-8 minutes. Stir in sour cream and jelly and warm through. Season the finished sauce with salt and pepper.
Carefully remove the meatballs from the baking sheet with a thin spatula.
Mix meatballs and egg noodles with sauce and garnish with dill, parsley and finely chopped cornichons or baby gherkin pickles, if using.