- 1 1/4-1 1/2 pound piece of flank steak
- 1/2 cup high temperature oil, such as peanut, canola or safflower oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 ounces or 1/3 pound shiitake mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red hot chili pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 4-5 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 3 tablespoons curry paste, mild to medium heat, such as Patak's brand
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed
- 1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced or torn, loosely packed
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put the flank steak in the freezer for a few minutes to aid in thinly slicing it safely.
Heat 1/2 cup oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Dredge the shallot slices in the cornstarch and shake off any excess. Add the shallots into the heated oil and remove them to a paper towel-lined plate when they become a light golden-brown color.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook to al dente.
While the pasta water comes to a boil, stem and thinly slice the mushrooms and seed and thinly slice the sweet and hot peppers.
Remove the meat from the freezer and thinly slice it into 1/4-inch-wide by 2-inch-long pieces.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook in a single layer for 2-3 minutes. Turn the meat over and add the shiitakes, sweet and hot peppers, garlic and scallions. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the curry paste, fish sauce and stock and bring to a boil. Add in the edamame and cook for 1 minute to heat through, then add the basil.
Drain the pasta and place into a large serving bowl. Add the beef mixture and the lime zest and juice. Toss vigorously and season with some black pepper, to taste. Garnish with the fried shallots sprinkled on top.