- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 stick butter, softened
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large loaf crusty Italian bread, split lengthwise, then across into 4 sections
- 4 12-ounce strip steaks
- 8 slices provolone cheese, from the deli counter
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Heat a small saucepot over medium-high heat with the EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Also, pre-heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high.
To the saucepot, add onion and cook until tender, 7-8 minutes, then add sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine, then stir in tomato sauce. Reduce heat, season with salt and lots of pepper, to taste, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Melt butter and stir in garlic. Brush bread evenly with garlic butter and roast the loaf until golden and toasty, 15 minutes on a large baking sheet.
Coat the steaks in a little EVOO, season with salt and pepper and grill for 8-10 minutes for medium doneness. Let meat rest for 5 minutes.
Remove toast from the oven and switch the broiler on.
Slice steaks and layer a steak across each quarter loaf of bread. Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce over each steak. Top each steak with two slices of provolone cheese, then bubble and brown the cheese under the broiler, 1 minute. Serve with green salad.