- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning (a couple of generous palmfuls)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- A small handful of fresh chives, finely chopped
- A small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- A small handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 16 slices good-quality white or whole wheat bread
- Bibb or butter lettuce leaves, for serving
- 2 plum or vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or griddle pan to medium-high. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels to cool, then chop.
While the bacon cooks, place the turkey in a large bowl. Grate the onion on top of the turkey to get 3-4 tablespoons of onion juice. Add the hot sauce, poultry seasoning, salt and lots of pepper. Add the cooked bacon, mix and form eight slider patties, about 2 1/2-3 inches in diameter. Drizzle with EVOO to coat lightly. Cook the sliders on the grill or griddle, turning once, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
While the sliders cook, pre-heat the broiler. Place the avocado in a food processor. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, chives, dill and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Process into a smooth, thick sauce.
Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds of bread (or trim 1 inch of crust all the way around the bread slices to form small squares); discard the crusts. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler. Serve the bacon-turkey sliders with the lettuce, tomatoes and avocado-ranch sauce between the toasts.