- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced or 1 small cubanelle pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound bulk sweet or hot Italian sausage or sausage links, casings removed
- 8 cubes of provolone cheese, 1/2-inch thick and 1-inch square
- 8 small dinner rolls or packaged slider rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm brand, split open and toasted
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic to the pan and cook until the veggies are tender, 7-8 minutes. When the veggies are tender, add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper.
While the veggies are cooking, place a second skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Shape the sausage into thin patties and wrap the meat around the cubed cheese. Cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side until deep brown and firm.
Place the patties on the roll bottoms and top with the peppers and onions. Set the roll tops in place and serve.