- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 small red or yellow onion, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 pinches of ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 slice bread or 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo, casing removed or dry-cured chorizo, casing removed and ground in food processor
For the sauce:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- A handful of tortilla chips
Place a small skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the red onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander, cinnamon and some salt and pepper to the pan and cook until the veggies are tender and the spices are aromatic, 3-4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let the veggies cool.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg with the cream. Tear up the piece of bread and add it or the breadcrumbs to the egg. Let soak until the bread is saturated, about 1 minute. Add the cooled veggies to the bowl along with the sirloin, chorizo and some salt and pepper. Combine the mixture with your hands and form into 1-inch balls.
For the sauce, place a large pot over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons EVOO, about three turns of the pan. Add the chopped onion, carrots and jalapeños to the pan and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree with the tomatoes. Return the mixture to the pot and add the chicken stock and chili powder. Bring up to a bubble and add in the meatballs. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Serve the soup garnished with the lime juice, some cilantro, scallions, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.