- 1 cup fresh ricotta or fresh sheep's milk ricotta
- 1/3-1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 pound small firm zucchini, shredded or finely chopped, divided
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped or very thinly sliced, divided
- 1 roasted sweet red pepper, chopped, divided
- 1 small bunch scallions, whites and greens, chopped, divided
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten, divided
- 1 small wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for shaving
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
In a small bowl, combine the ricotta with some milk to thin it out to a spreadable consistency and season it with thyme, salt and pepper, to taste.
Line a cake pan with plastic wrap. Choose a nonstick skillet similar in size to your cake pan.
Beat the eggs with salt and pepper, to taste. Have two plates on hand that are similar in size to the skillet. Heat a tablespoon of EVOO in the skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add one third of the zucchini, chili pepper, sweet pepper and scallions to the pan, then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sauté the mixture for a couple of minutes, then add one third of the eggs and brown the omelet. Cover the pan with a plate and flip the omelet over and brown on the other side. Slide the browned omelet onto another plate. Repeat twice more with the remaining ingredients to create three omelets.
Put the most appealing omelet in the bottom of a cake pan, spread with half the ricotta mixture and top with another omelet, more ricotta mixture and then the third omelet. Invert onto a cake plate or stand and top with arugula and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Cut into wedges and serve.