For the barbecue sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika (1/3 palmful)
- Coarsely ground black pepper
For the Oil and Vinegar Slaw:
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Celery salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shredded cabbage slaw salad mix with carrot and purple cabbage
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
For the Chili Sliders:
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- Montreal steak seasoning, such as McCormick brand, or coarse salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or Mexican oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder (a palmful)
- 1/2 cup beer, such as Brooklyn Ale
- Vegetable oil or olive oil, for drizzling
- Sharp yellow cheddar cheese, sliced (optional)
- Good quality jarred refrigerated pickle slices
- 12 slider rolls or brioche rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm brand
Put all the ingredients for the barbecue sauce in a small pot and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens and the flavors combine, about 20 minutes.
Next, make the slaw: whisk together the vinegar, honey and oil in a medium size bowl. Stir in the celery salt and black pepper, to taste. Add the slaw mix and onion and toss together. Let the salad wilt, up to 10-15 minutes.
Pre-heat a grill or griddle to medium.
Put the sirloin in a bowl with the grated onion and season with steak seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste. In a small bowl, combine the Worcestershire with the herbs, chili powder and beer. Pour the herb mixture over the meat and mix thoroughly. Form the meat mixture into 12 sliders and drizzle with vegetable oil or olive oil. Put the burgers on the grill or griddle and cook for a few minutes on each side. Baste the burgers liberally with barbecue sauce. Top the burgers with cheddar slices and let it melt, if you prefer cheese burgers.
Serve the burgers on slider rolls topped with pickle slices and the slaw.