- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, halved, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus a drizzle or cooking spray for oiling muffin tin
- A handful of mushroom caps, sliced or chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup defrosted frozen peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus a sprinkle to roll out dough
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry dough, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Place the chicken in a pan with half of the onion and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Gently poach the chicken until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the liquid and dice or shred with forks in a mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and brown for 5 minutes. Finely chop the remaining half onion and add to the pan along with the celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, a few minutes more. Add the frozen veggies and heat through, a minute or two more. Add the veggies to the bowl with the shredded or cut chicken.
Return the skillet to the heat and add the butter. Melt the butter, then add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and let thicken a minute or two. Stir in the cream and heat through. Add the Dijon mustard, dill or thyme and salt and pepper, to taste. Turn off the heat, pour the gravy over the chicken and vegetables and stir to combine.
Wipe a large, 6-cup muffin tin with oil or spray with cooking spray. Roll out the dough and cut into six squares. Place each square in a muffin tin cup and fill with the chicken, vegetable and gravy mix. Pull in all four points of the crust over the filling so they meet in the middle, forming six individual pot pies. Brush the pies with the egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes, until crisp and deeply golden. Let stand for a few minutes before removing from the muffin cups.
Serve with a green salad or other leafy green vegetable alongside.