- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 2 ribs celery, very finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or very finely chopped
- 1 small onion, grated or very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 rounded tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot brand
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/3 pound blue cheese, crumbled
- A splash of milk or cream
- Chopped lettuce or spicy watercress, for topping
- 4 tablespoons chives, chopped, for garnish
- 12 whole wheat slider-size buns or sliced brioche dinner rolls
- Carrot and celery sticks, for garnish
Heat the EVOO in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook to tender-crisp, 7-8 minutes. Let cool.
Place the cooled vegetables and meat in a bowl. Season with Old Bay, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix and form twelve patties and drizzle each with EVOO.
Heat a cast iron griddle or other griddle or grill pan.
Combine the sour cream, blue cheese and a splash of milk or cream in a small bowl.
Add the burgers to the hot pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Pile the burgers on the buns with the lettuce or cress, a dollop of blue cheese topping and garnish with chives. Serve with carrot and celery sticks alongside.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.