- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small or medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, toasted
- A couple handfuls of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 4 sesame sub rolls, split lengthwise
- 12 thin slices smoked fresh mozzarella or fresh mozzarella cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
In a small pot, heat about 1/2 cup EVOO with the crushed garlic, rosemary sprigs and red pepper flakes. Let the EVOO infuse over low heat for a couple minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange cooling racks over two rimmed baking sheets. Trim the tops and bottoms of the eggplants and thinly slice the eggplants and tomatoes. Brush the eggplant with the seasoned EVOO using a pastry brush and arrange the slices on a rack over one baking sheet. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on the other rack and sheet and season both with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and slightly shriveled up.
While the eggplant and tomatoes roast, combine the basil, parsley, nuts, Parmigiano Reggiano and salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse to finely chop. Then stream in about 1/4 cup EVOO to form a thick pesto.
Arrange about 1/2 cup arugula leaves on each sub roll bottom. Top with layered slices of roasted eggplant, mozzarella and roasted tomatoes. Spread pesto on the roll tops and set in place. Halve the sammies and serve.