- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise (scoop out some of the inside bread to make more room for the tuna)
- 2 cans Italian tuna in olive oil (5 1/2 ounces each), drained
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts in water (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup good quality black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (about a handful), chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat the oven or toaster oven to 400°F. Crisp the bread in the hot oven.
While the bread is toasting, place the tuna in a medium size mixing bowl and break it up with a fork. Add the capers, red onion, artichokes, olives and parsley.
Add the juice of the lemon and a healthy drizzle of EVOO. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix to combine.
Place the tuna salad on the bottom half of the bread and set the top over it. Press down to set the bread and tuna salad together. The bread will absorb the EVOO and the salad juices. Cut the bread into individual sandwiches.