For the dressing:
- 2 cups Greek-style yogurt or reduced fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup paprika, finely chopped
- A small handful of dill leaves, finely chopped
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
For the chicken:
- 12 white meat chicken tenders and 6 chicken leg drummers
- Vegetable or any light frying oil
For the flour mix:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika or smoked sweet paprika (a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/3 palmful)
- Honey and hot sauce, for serving
- Pickle spears, carrot and celery sticks and salted radishes, for serving
Combine the yogurt and milk in a medium size bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the chicken and oil and stir to incorporate.
Wash and dry the chicken pieces and coat them in the dressing.
Heat a couple of inches of frying oil in a large Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat. The oil is ready when rapid bubbles surround the handle of a wooden spoon when submerged in the oil.
Put the flour in large double-bagged paper sack and add the mustard, poultry seasoning or thyme, paprika, turmeric and cayenne. Add the chicken tenders and shake to coat them in the flour. Using tongs, add the chicken to the hot oil. The tenders will fry in 7-8 minutes time while you bread the six drummers. Remove the tenders to a cooling rack and add the drummers; they will take about 12 minutes for the juices to run clear. Remove the drummers to the cooling rack and season all of the chicken with salt while still hot.
Arrange the chicken on a serving platter and serve it at room temperature or cold with hot sauce and honey for topping. Pickles, celery, carrot sticks and salted radishes make crunchy accompaniments.