- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small red cabbage (1 1/2 pounds), quartered, cored and shredded
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 large pumpernickel, rye or sourdough bread from the bakery counter
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced corned beef
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced smoked turkey
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced pastrami
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup chili sauce
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Pre-heat the broiler and place a rack 10-12 inches from the heat.
To a very hot skillet, add the vegetable oil, two turns of the pan, bay leaf, garlic, cabbage, cloves, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, then add in the grill seasoning and brown sugar and toss to coat. Add the vinegar, cook off for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and let stand. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Cut 1 inch off the bread across the whole loaf to remove the top. Remove the soft insides of the bread to form a bread bowl. Pile half the cabbage into base of the bread. Fill the bread with the meats and cheese. Place the filled bread into the oven to melt the cheese. Top the melted cheese with the remaining seared pickled cabbage.
Slather the top with sweet pickle relish mixed with chili sauce and set the bread top into place. The loaf will appear whole and empty to the eye. Pack to travel or serve on a cutting board. Cut the loaf into six sections and serve.