- 4 pounds large, starchy potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 boxes frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry
- 2 boxes frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and chopped or 2 cans artichokes in water, drained well and chopped
- 2 containers ricotta cheese (15-16 ounces each)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- Salt and pepper
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 rounded tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Shredded basil, for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes in boiling salted water and drain.
Combine the spinach, artichoke hearts, ricotta, garlic, salt, pepper, egg yolks and half the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in a bowl.
Melt the butter in a saucepot over medium-high heat and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the milk, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and thicken the sauce to coat a spoon.
Pour half of the sauce into a casserole dish and top with a layer of the potatoes, then half the spinach-artichoke mixture. Continue layering the casserole with more potatoes, the remaining spinach-artichoke, the rest of the potatoes and top with the remaining sauce and cheese.
Bake until deeply golden, 40-45 minutes. Cool the lasagna for 5-10 minutes, then top with the basil, cut into squares and serve.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.