- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups yellow, red or green lentils
- 2 rounded palmfuls curry powder blend or Ras el hanout
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 bundle farm spinach, trimmed, washed and dried, then coarsely chopped
- Naan bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO, four turns of the pan, garlic, carrot, chili pepper and shallot and cook until the mixture softens, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lentils and toss to coat in the EVOO; season with salt, to taste, and the curry powder blend or Ras el hanout. Add the stock and water to the soup and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender into a smooth soup. Season with salt, if needed. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
Reheat the soup over medium heat and stir in the fresh spinach until wilted. Heat the naan on a griddle pan with a few drops of water until crisp and hot on each side, then brush liberally with melted butter.