- 12 slices good-quality bacon
- 8 slices good-quality peasant or round-loaf French bread
- 1/2-3/4 pound extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 Golden Delicious or Gala apples, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- Butter, for greasing
- Warm maple syrup, for drizzling
Bake the bacon on a broiler pan or a rack set over a baking sheet at 375°F until just crisp, about 20 minutes. Arrange four slices of bread with some cheese and the apples on top. Beat the eggs with the milk (or half-and-half) and a little nutmeg.
Heat a large griddle pan over medium heat. When ready, arrange three slices of bacon on each sandwich and top with a little more cheese and four more slices of bread. Coat each sandwich in the egg batter. Grease the griddle with butter and griddle the sandwiches until deep golden on each side and the cheese has melted. Halve the sandwiches and drizzle with a little warm syrup.