- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 cooked short ribs, meat pulled and shredded, plus 1 cup braising liquid
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1 bottle dry red wine (750 ml)
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
Heat the EVOO in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until very tender, then stir in the tomato paste, stock, short rib meat and braising sauce. Heat through, then cool completely and store for a make-ahead meal. Skim the fat and reheat, covered, over medium heat.
While the sauce reheats, bring 5-6 cups of water to a boil with the red wine. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain the pasta and toss with sauce to coat, then top with Pecorino cheese and chopped parsley.