- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon shallot, grated
- 2 teaspoons apricot preserves or marmalade or good-quality honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, cleaned, dried and torn
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
- 1 navel orange, supremed (peeled and pith removed, with sections removed from membranes with a paring knife)
- 1 small ruby red grapefruit, supremed (peeled and pith removed, with sections removed from membranes with a paring knife)
Gently toast the sunflower and sesame seeds with the pine nuts in small pan over medium heat.
Combine the shallot, preserves or honey, Dijon, juice and vinegar. Whisk in the EVOO to emulsify and season with salt and pepper.
Combine the lettuce with the tarragon, orange and grapefruit sections; dress with the seeds and dressing just before serving.