- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- A couple sprigs of thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds gnocchi
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Grated parmesan or Gruyère cheese, for topping
In a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf and cook until the mushrooms are lightly brown, about 7-8 minutes. Stir in the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Raise the heat a bit and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the turkey and heat until the mixture bubbles, then turn off the heat and cool. Store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
Reheat the sauce in a covered pot over medium heat, then uncover the pot and stir in the cream. Simmer over low heat.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi float, about 1-2 minutes.
Drain the gnocchi and add them to the pot. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with a hint of freshly grated nutmeg. Serve in shallow bowls topped with lots of chunky, creamy sauce and some cheese.