- 4 large poblano chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 4 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and very thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/2 palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 12 corn tortillas, charred over a burner or in a dry skillet, then wrapped in foil or placed in a kitchen towel
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp smoked cheddar or extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges, fresh cilantro and sour cream, for serving
Char the poblanos on a grill or under the broiler until blackened all over. Place the charred poblanos in a bowl and cover until cool enough to handle. Wipe off the charred skins; seed and thinly slice.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high to high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until darkened and softened, 7-8 minutes. Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes longer. Deglaze the pan with the beer and stir in the poblanos.
Spoon one-quarter of the filling onto three corn tortillas. Repeat for three more servings. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Squeeze the juice of the lime wedges over each portion and top with the cilantro and sour cream.