- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 small Gala apple, chopped
- About 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seed (half a palmful)
- Salt and pepper or McCormick brand Montreal Seasoning (it tastes like pickling spice)
- 2 round tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup German beer or cloudy cider
- 8 bratwurst, knockwurst or bockwurst
- 8 6-inch rolls of your choice, split
- Spicy brown mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 round tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- Salt and pepper
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO, two turns of the pan. Add the cabbage, onion and apple and season with the caraway seed and salt and pepper or Montreal Seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, until wilted. Add the brown sugar and beer or cider, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the cabbage is ready, heat a griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat. Split the wursts lengthwise and open them like a book, then grill them to crisp on both sides.
Heat the broiler and arrange the rolls on a baking sheet. Cover them with mustard and cheese, then broil to melt the cheese.
Stir together the sour cream, relish and ketchup and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Place the wursts on the rolls on top of the cheese and top with the special sauce and cabbage. The leftover cabbage is a great sandwich topper for smoked turkey or ham sammies, as well as a super side dish for schnitzel or roast beef dinners later in the week.