- 2 corn or flour tortillas, cut into strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slices smoky lean bacon, sliced across the strips 1/2-inch long
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 Fresno or jalapeño chili peppers, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can black beans (28 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a scant palmful)
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder (a healthy palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup beer, such as Negra Modelo
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (14 ounces)
- A small handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2-2 cups shredded hot pepper sharp cheddar cheese or pepper Jack cheese
- 4 eggs, to prepare any style (1 per person)
- Ripe avocado, halved, pitted and diced
- Lime, cut into wedges
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Cut the tortillas into strips and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp. Arrange in a casserole dish.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add the bacon and brown, then remove with a slotted spoon. To the skillet, add the onion, Fresno peppers and garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
Add the beans and season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, cilantro and beer. Thicken for 1 minute, then adjust the seasonings and arrange on top of the tortillas; scatter in the bacon bits and cheese.
Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
Bake in the hot oven until bubbly and hot. Top with fried eggs (as soft or hard as you like), diced avocado and lime wedges.