- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin fillet
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef consommé, available on the soup aisle at the grocery store
- 2 teaspoons prepared Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cornichons (baby sour gherkin pickles)
- 1 pound extra wide egg noodles, cooked to package directions
- Chopped parsley leaves, garnish
- Thickly sliced pumpernickel bread (optional)
Timing tip: slice and place meat in freezer for 15 minutes. Sauce and meat are prepared 10 minutes before you are ready to serve.
Slice meat into 1/2-thick by 2-inch long very thin strips and season with salt and pepper. Set in freezer.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt two tablespoons butter and cook with flour one minute. Whisk in consommé. Thicken one minute. Stir in mustard and sour cream; thicken 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and season sauce with salt and pepper.
Heat a second skillet over high heat. Add one tablespoon oil and one tablespoon butter, then add the meat and onion and cook over high heat until brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes total. Then add the chopped cornichons and stir to combine.
Arrange meat on a bed of egg noodles and top with Stroganoff sauce and parsley. Serve with thickly sliced pumpernickel bread.