- 3-4 pounds chicken drummers or cut chicken wings
For the sauce:
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, pasted or grated
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce or Kecap Manis (aged, thick soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce) or low sodium soy sauce
- About 1/2 cup honey
- Thinly sliced or chopped scallions
- Chopped spicy peanuts
Place the chicken pieces in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, par-boil for 10 minutes, then drain and pat the chicken dry.
Arrange the chicken on a cooling rack over a baking sheet and place it in the upper third of the oven. Turn the broiler on high and broil, turning occasionally, until the chicken skin is crispy all over, about 15-20 minutes.
Combine the ingredients for the sauce in large bowl with a whisk. Toss the chicken in the sauce; garnish with scallions and chopped spicy peanuts.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.