- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small red chili pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 round loaf crusty bread with or without sesame seeds
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 tablespoonfuls capote capers or sliced caper berries
- A scant handful of pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 thin anchovy fillets, drained (optional)
Heat about 1/4 cup EVOO in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the chili pepper and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and cool for a couple of minutes.
Halve the bread across horizontally and toast or char.
Halve the tomato across horizontally and rub the flesh vigorously into the toasted surface of the bread and season with salt, to taste. If you are garnishing with anchovies, skip the salt. Dress the tomato bread with chili oil and garnish with capers, olives and anchovies, if using. Cut into serving portions and serve.