- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (a scant palmful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dark amber pure maple syrup
- About 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- About 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 soft hamburger buns, split
- Shredded cheddar or pepper Jack cheese, chopped scallions and chopped pickles, for topping
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and season with the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, then stir in the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5-6 minutes.
In a bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, maple syrup, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and mustard. Pour the sauce over the meat and simmer over medium-low heat for a few minutes to combine the flavors.
Serve the sloppy turkey on the buns with the toppings.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.