- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 scant tablespoons flour
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- Salt and white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- Nutmeg, freshly grated, to taste
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sliced brioche bread or white bread
- Thinly sliced French-style ham (mild, sweet and buttery – not smoky in flavor)
- 1 1/2-2 cups Comté or Gruyère cheese, shredded
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute, then whisk in the milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer at a low bubble until thickened to coat a spoon; stir in the Dijon.
Arrange the sliced bread on baking sheet and top with the sauce, ham and cheese and bake to deep golden on top. The sandwiches can be made in a single or double layer, finishing the top layer with sauce and cheese i.e. bread, sauce, ham, cheese, bread, sauce, cheese.