- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen, skinless cod or halibut fillets, cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling, divided
- 1/2 loaf Italian bread (about 7 ounces), cut into 8 2-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more, to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Place the fish in a single layer in a large glass baking dish; season with salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons EVOO. Bake for 8 minutes; set aside.
Increase the oven temperature to 425ºF. Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with EVOO and toast until crisp, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Using a fork, lightly flake the reserved fish and add it with the oregano to the stew; simmer for 5 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and top with the croutons.