- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- About 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6-8 flat anchovy fillets
- 1 fresh chili pepper, such as red cherry or Fresno, seeded and sliced or finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cavolo nero (also called black, Tuscan, dinosaur or lacinato kale), stemmed and shredded
- A few grates nutmeg
- 2 large egg yolks
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the anchovies, cover the pan with a splatter screen or loose foil and let the anchovies melt into the EVOO. Add the chili pepper and garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the kale and let it wilt; season with a little nutmeg.
In a measuring cup, beat the egg yolks with some of the reserved pasta cooking water. Toss the drained spaghetti with the kale, a few handfuls of Pecorino Romano, lots of black pepper and the tempered egg yolks; add more pasta cooking water as necessary to evenly coat. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls.