- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, diced into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder (a healthy palmful)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (2/3 palmful)
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
Chop and dice the onion, cheddar cheese, pepper, garlic and cilantro. S
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet, indoor grill pan or tabletop grill to medium-high heat.
Combine the ground turkey, onion, cheddar cheese, chili powder, ground cumin, jalapeño or serrano pepper, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium size bowl and mix everything together with your hands.
Wash your hands after handling the raw turkey.
Drizzle EVOO on the patties and place them in a hot skillet or on a hot grill with a spatula and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the turkey is cooked through.
For the cilantro cream, combine the sour cream and chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Serve the Cheddar-Studded Turkey Burgers topped with a little of the cilantro cream and alongside the South-of-the-Border Iceberg Salad.
Score the meat with the side of your hand to separate into four equal amounts. Form the mixture into four large patties no more than one inch thick.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.