- 2 tablespoons vegetable, corn or olive oil
- 4 slices smoky lean bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups organic defrosted corn kernels or 2 fresh ears of corn, cut into 1-inch chunks, cob included
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 round tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons seeded and pureed chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups blue corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed, such as unsalted Xochitl brand
- Shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- Diced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, if using, and lightly brown. Add the onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper and corn. Season with the thyme, bay leaf and Old Bay seasoning and cook to soften, 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chipotle, tomatoes and stock and simmer together for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To serve, divide the tortilla chips among four soup bowls. Top with the cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime, then ladle in the soup and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.