- Kosher salt
- 1 pound rice or pasta, penne or wide noodles
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 large cloves garlic, pasted
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Place the basil, 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, Tamari, garlic, lime juice and chili pepper into a food processor. Pulse into a paste. Drizzle in the EVOO. Pour the pesto into a large bowl and add a splash of starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta, add to the sauce and toss to combine. Drizzle with sesame oil; garnish with scallions and the remaining 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds.