- 1 large clove garlic, pasted or finely grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 2 cans line-caught tuna or Italian tuna in oil (6 ounces each), drained and flaked
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 large, thin slices peasant bread or pane bello or 4 ciabatta rolls (6-8 inches each), split
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, celery tops or baby arugula leaves (2 handfuls)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Heat a panini press or large cast iron skillet. In a medium size bowl, combine the garlic, lemon juice, EVOO (pour and count at an even pace to three), thyme and black pepper, to taste. Let stand for a few minutes, then add the tuna, red onion and capers. Mash to combine.
Layer the Swiss cheese on four slices of bread; top with the tuna, tomatoes, greens, provolone and another slice of bread. Press on the panini press (or in the hot skillet with another skillet weighted down on top). When the sandwiches are brown and crisp and the cheese has melted, cut in half and serve.