- 2 red heirloom or plum tomatoes
- 3 brown, orange, green or yellow ripe tomatoes, mixed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices good-quality smoky bacon, finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 red Fresno chili peppers, finely chopped
- 12 large organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 handfuls very thin salt-free crispy corn tortilla chips, such as Xochitl brand
- 1 can spicy vegetarian refried beans
- About 1/3-1/2 pound smoked cheddar or smoked pepper Jack cheese
- About 1/3-1/2 pound extra sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled sliced jalapeños, drained
- 1 cup shredded hearts of romaine leaves
Chop the tomatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Add the red onion, scallions, jalapeños and cilantro.
Dress with lime juice and salt and toss to combine. Let stand until ready to use.
Pre-heat a 10-12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat with EVOO. Also pre-heat the broiler with the rack positioned in the middle of the oven.
To the hot EVOO add the bacon and render, about 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and red chili peppers and cook for about 4-5 minutes to soften them. Beat the eggs with the hot sauce, salt and pepper. Lightly crush the tortillas and add them to the pan; pour the eggs overtop and stir to combine. Settle the eggs and lightly brown them, then transfer the pan to the center of the oven and broil the eggs for 6-7 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the spicy vegetarian refried beans with a splash of water to thin them out.
Shred the cheeses with a box grater and combine.
Remove the eggs from the oven and spread the refried beans overtop, stopping 1-inch from the edge all around. Top with shredded cheese and pickled jalapeños and return to the oven for 1-2 more minutes to melt the cheese. Remove the egg tostada-frittata from the oven and top it with shredded lettuce. Lightly drain off the tomato water from the tomato mixture and mound the salsa over the lettuce.
Serve extra salsa at the table.