For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Siracha hot sauce
For the slaw:
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 4 large radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 round teaspoon sea salt
For the burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 pound bologna, chopped then finely ground in a food processor
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
- Salt and lots of black pepper
- A drizzle of vegetable oil
- 4 brioche or other burger rolls, split and lightly toasted
- Buttery lettuce leaves, such as Bibb or Boston, etc.
- Mint leaves and cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Exotic root vegetable chips, such as Terra brand
Combine the sauce ingredients in small pot and warm over low heat.
For the slaw, add the carrots, cucumber and radishes to a bowl. Combine the water, sugar, vinegar and salt in a saucepot and heat to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour the liquid over the slaw, toss the salad and chill or reserve at room temperature.
For the burgers, combine the meats with the garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Form four patties. Heat a little oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the burgers for 10-12 minutes, turning once. Bathe them in sauce during the last minute of cooking
Pile the burgers on the rolls and top with lettuce, mint, cilantro and slaw. Set the roll tops in place and serve with exotic root vegetable chips alongside.