- 5-6 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- A generous handful of basil, thinly sliced or torn
- A couple palmfuls of fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 lemons, divided
- 1 fresh chili pepper, such as red cherry or Fresno, seeded and finely chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- About 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 4 crusty, foot-long rolls, split
- 1 cup drained giardiniera (pickled vegetables), chopped
Note: you will need metal skewers or grill wire to prepare this recipe.
Pre-heat an outdoor grill, indoor griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat.
In a bowl, whisk together the EVOO, garlic, basil, thyme, and the zest and juice of 2 lemons. Stir in the chili pepper and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the dressing into a small bowl and stir in the tahini, vinegar and the juice of the remaining lemon; set aside this sesame sauce for dressing the subs (if it’s too thick for drizzling, thin with a little water).
Toss the chicken in the remaining marinade to coat well. Thread onto metal skewers or string onto grill wire. Grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Pile the lettuce on the rolls and top with the chicken, lots of sesame sauce and the giardiniera.