- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled cut into wedges
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 1/2 pounds 1/4-inch-thick sliced corned beef, chopped
- About 2 cups shredded Emmentaler cheese or Gruyère cheese (12 ounces)
- Chopped celery tops or parsley, for garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Pre-heat a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with a liberal drizzle of EVOO, enough to coat the potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and caraway seeds. Add to the hot pan, toss around and situate in fairly even layer. Transfer to the oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes.
Rinse and drain the sauerkraut.
Combine the ketchup, sour cream and relish in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the skillet from the oven and top the potatoes with sauerkraut, sauce, chopped corned beef and cheese. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes more until the cheese is bubbly.
Serve from the hot skillet.