- 8 slices smoky bacon
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
For the chicken:
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, finely chopped
- A few sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- A few sprigs of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and lots of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 8 standard-size English muffins, toasted
- Chopped iceberg lettuce or hearts of romaine
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, about 20 minutes. Let cool, then halve the slices.
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grill pan (or a large cast iron skillet) to medium-high. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl; season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
In a baking dish, whisk together the EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, chili pepper, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and let marinate for 10 minutes. Grill, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 10-12 minutes. Let rest briefly, then slice.
Arrange the chicken on the English muffin bottoms. Layer each with two half-slices of bacon crisscrossed in an “X,” some lettuce, tomato, dressing and a muffin top.