- 2 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/3-1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 4-5 large radishes, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 scant teaspoon sea salt
- A handful each of cilantro and mint leaves
- A handful of microgreens or pea shoots
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce or Sriracha
For the sliders:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 pound bologna, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, grated or finely chopped
- A little sea salt and lots of pepper
- Vegetable oil, for coating
- 8 French rolls or 3-inch pieces baguette, split
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. Combine the carrots, cucumber and radishes in a shallow dish. In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water, the sugar, vinegar and salt until dissolved. Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables, then let cool until ready to serve. Combine with the cilantro, mint and microgreens (or pea shoots).
Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the barbecue sauce in a small saucepan and warm up.
Place the ground pork in a large bowl. Add the bologna to a food processor bowl and pulse until very finely chopped. Mix it into the pork, along with the onion (which you can grate directly into the bowl), garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
Form the meat mixture into eight patties and lightly coat with oil. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, 6-8 minutes, liberally brushing with the barbecue sauce during the last minute or so.
Serve the pork patties on the rolls (or baguette). Top with the drained salad mixture.