- 6 ears corn on the cob, husked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta or lean, center-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1/2 small sweet red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup shelled fava beans (when available – remove from pod, parboil 5 minutes in shell) or defrosted shelled edamame or lima beans
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle, such as Del Verde brand, or other wide-cut pasta
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese, for topping
Into a large bowl, scrape the corn off the cobs, as well as the cobs themselves, for their sweet, starchy juices.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Add the EVOO to the hot skillet and add the pancetta or bacon. Cook to render the fat and crisp, 3-4 minutes. Add the corn and juices and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and cook the corn for 3-4 minutes. Add the peppers, onions and garlic; stir for 5 minutes more. Add the fava beans, edamame or lima beans and deglaze the pan with wine or stock. Stir in the butter and reduce the heat to low.
Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta to al dente. Add 1 cup of the starchy cooking water to the creamy corn succotash. Drain the pasta, then toss with the corn and parsley and top with cheese.